Friday, April 16, 2010

My New Distraction

I've always been a person to have 5 bajillion projects going on at one time. Don't ask why, I don't know. Poor husband will come home to a crazy, messy home, complete with Nells running a muck in her skivvies (aka diaper...because she just learned to REMOVE her clothing) and I'm happily painting. Or rearranging furniture. Or hanging photos. Or painting onesies.

That's right. I said it. Painting Onesies.

You see, I've never been a believer in fabric paint. For some reason the phrase conjures up images of neon puffy paint on oversize white, men's t-shirts with glued on rhinestones. But Ashley over at Lil Blue Boo makes it look oh so good. And easy. And easy on the pocket book. And did I mention ADORABLE. Oh, and by the way, if you've never checked out her site, and you like to sew or be a Crafty Mc Crafterson, you totally should. So leave here and go there. Or finish reading and then move on. Speaking of moving on...

Yes, so I read her freezer paper stencil/fabric paint tutorial and was hooked. I bought a package of white onesise with my Buy Buy Baby coupon for like $7, hopped down to Joann's with my 50% off one item coupon AND gift card (Thank you Clemencia!) to buy fabric paint, pulled out my freezer paper and exacto knife, and away I went.

Last night I created three, custom made onesies in 15-20 minutes.










Did you see that space. That was so you had time to recover from the shock. Something HOMEMADE and SPECIAL in FIFTEEN MINUTES. NOT an "hour sewing project" that really takes me 5 hours. I AM SO ADDICTED!

My camera is out on loan to some fellow photographers, or I would have photos for you. I'll snap some tonight when I have camera in hand. But I think they're pretty cute. : ) I made a letter stencil and a fishy stencil. Then I put three fishies in waves on one onesie. ADORABLE. : ) So there you have it. I'm behind in work. My house looks like one that should be on the show "Clean Sweep," But I made TWO BABY GIFTS IN 15 MINUTES!?! : ) Maybe tonight I'll try fabric painting a pair of lounge pants I made for Nells. No worries, I didn't sew the leg holes togetherTHIS time. : )
____________________________________________________________________

:::Edit to add:::
____________________________________________________________________

My fabulous Mother-in-law sent me this photo shortly after I posted the above:


#1 This is the type of fabric painting I remember doing on my own...and WEARING PROUDLY...which is why I was so skeptical of "fabric paint." Again, my fishy onesies look NOTHING LIKE THIS. : )

#2 I LOVE so much that my mother-in-law kept these...becuase I will do the same thing with Nells' clothes. : ) Tele-hug to you!!

#3 I actually laughed out loud at the thought of a miniature husband running about in his red Christmas puffy-paint sweatshirt! : ) Awesome.

Do you have any "old school" fabric paint shirts??? : )


blog


1 comment:

Clemencia said...

Hi Em!
To the defense :) of the moms out there who did the rhinestone thing - it had to start out somewhere!! Maybe it started out with us painting the flowers on our hippy leather sandals!! I still have my pair! :) - Clemencia