Go make this.
Make it now.
It's so amazing you'll want to consume this food for breakfast, lunch and dinner. And guess what - you'll have enough leftover to do just that! :)
Spaghetti Squash with Lemons and Capers
- 2 large spaghetti squash (aka one GINORMOUS genetically enhanced squash the size of two large ones will also work well. Not that I would know. (: )
- 4 T. EVOO (Or you can just eyeball it - I'm not generally a huge fan of exact measurements...which is why I'm not a baker.)
- Kosher or Sea salt and Fresh cracked pepper (I'm a believer in coarse salts and peppercorns. They are so much more flavorful - I PROMISE!)
- 8 T. butter (or less - I did 6 T. and it was fabulouso!)
- 2 T. capers
- 1/4 c. diced zucchini (I added more)
- 1/4 diced red bell pepper (Again...I added more)
- 2 chopped garlic cloves (Not in the original recipe...but how can garlic possibly destroy a recipe?!)
- 4 T. fresh lemon juice (I also zested the lemon)
- 4 T. chopped parsley
- 1/4 julienne tomato concasse (I had to look this one up...)
- freshly grated pecorino romano cheese (again...I added this one!)
Preheat oven to 400.
Cut squash in 1/2 lengthwise and remove the innards. (Easier said then done - I was literally hacking at my toy-poodle sized squash with my newly sharpened Wustof knife. It took For-Ev-Ver -- name that movie) Slick down the squash halves with evoo, salt and pepper. After that you can give yourself a nice little exfoliate - evoo and salt! :)
Place halves face down on a baking sheet and cover with foil. (OR you could totally disregard the foil instructions and just bake the suckers!) Cook until the rind gives way slightly to the touch or feels a little soft - 20 minutes (NOT. At least a half hour here.) When they are done, scrape out the meat with a fork. Be amazed that the flesh falls out just like spaghetti -- the squash GROWS that way -- HOW COOL! I always thought the fork made it look like spaghetti -- boy did I get a surprise!
In a hot skillet melt the butter and cook until dark brown. Add capers, zucchini, bell pepper and garlic. Cook until tender. Add lemon juice and parsley. Season with sale and pepper - because you just can't add enough! :)
Mix squash, butter sauce and tomatoes together. Place in a GINORMOUS dish, sprinkle with cheese and garnish with parsley. ta-da. You're done! :)