Monday, August 24, 2009

The Post In Which I Reveal A Recipe And For Which I Cannot Think Of A Creative Title So I Just Wrote An All Caps Run-On Sentence Instead.

And now, Ladies and Gentlemen, for your reading and salivary gland pleasure, the recipe. (dun dun dun.)

Salmon with Wild Blueberry & Rhubarb Sauce

Ingredients:
  • 1 T. Canola Oil (I used EVOO)
  • 1 small onion, cut in half, halves sliced (I used half a red onion since they are more potent!)
  • 2-3 thin stalks of rhubarb, cut into 1/2 in. slices (Again, I just chopped the suckers...looked good to me!)
  • 1 1/2 c. frozen blueberries (Don't forget to thaw them first. I of course forgotremembered to thaw mine before hand and definitely almost ruined the recipe made the recipe to perfection.)
  • 2 T. blueberry or wildflower honey (Um...who has $9 for a jar of honey...not me. I used just plain 'ole, teddy bear jar shaped honey)
  • 1/4 t. wasabi powder or paste (Every time I see the word wasabi I have to say it out loud like I'm in a kung- fu movie -- Wa-SABI!!!!! Wow...I shouldn't have typed that out on the interwebs for everyone to read...)
  • 1 lb. wild king salmon fillet, cut crosswise into 4 equal pieces (OR two 5 oz. fillets that are pre-cut, wrapped in cedar and on sale at the grocery store! (: )

So...looking back on the ingredients...I didn't really make the recipe that's on the page...it was more of an outline! :) But on with the rest...

  • Heat oil over med-high heat, add onion and saute' until lightly browned (4-5 min.)
  • Add rhubarb and cook until bottom of pan looks syrupy (3-4min.)
  • Add blueberries & honey.
  • Lower to simmer until rhubarb is "tender and collapsing" aka "soft and squishy."
  • Remove from heat ans stir in wasabi. Remember to touch your eyes immediately after this step. It will keep the kitchen interesting.
  • Transfer to a bowl and cover to keep warm (because, really who wants a cold sauce on their hot salmon!?)
  • Heat a dry nonstick frying pan over medium heat until hot (Or just reuse the pan you just used. Duh. Save on dishes!)
  • Sprinkle fish with salt (I used kosher salt because we have a small love affair) and freshly ground pepper.
  • arrange salmon in pan and cook until browned and crisp on bottom (4 min.)
  • Turn salmon and cook until, you guessed it browned and crisp (3 min.)
  • When the fish is done it will flake off easily. It should still be translucent in the center, so don't freak out about e-coli when you go to eat it and middle looks different. It's fine. You won't die. Look, ours was "translucent" and we're still alive. Conrad has a new little tick, but it's cute. :)
  • Divide sauce among plates, and place fillet on top.
  • Consume yummy goodness making excessive "mmmm" and "ooooooh" sounds at the table.



And there you have it. :) I do love me some good food. :)
blog

No comments: